Folklore Genres

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Style Wars

Style Wars was a film I had never seen. The most interesting part about it to me was watching the graffiti artists with each other. Some developed a family like relationship with one another while there was also a large level of competition between groups to go "All City". Some people would look at the graffiti and see trash or vandalism, the bombers would see beautiful, skillfully done art.

I agree with the point in discussion that the bombers used their art to say that NYC was their city too and that it gave them an identity, both as individuals and as part of a group.

I haven't ever been to a big city where graffiti is all around. I wonder how the culture has changed from then to now. It would be interesting for someone to do a follow up film to Style Wars.

I kept wondering where the people in the film were today and then I thought about airbrush t-shirt artists.

Another thing I've always wondered. Do people that write "Jesus Saves" as graffiti on bridges around here feel that because of their message, it makes it okay?

I think the artistic skill of the bombers in NYC is great and that some of their work is fascinating to look at, but I don't think they should be doing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home