Folklore Genres

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Clambake

The book Clambake by Kathy Neustadt is not only about a food festival. It is about tradition, and identity for the people of Allen's Neck. As I was thinking about this book after discussion, it really hit home with me.

This year my family's Thanksgiving changed. My grandfather has suffered a stroke and we lost my uncle to cancer. We couldn't have our traditional Thanksgiving at my grandparents because there isn't room due to the bed in the livingroom, and my aunt didn't think she felt up to the celebration. The rest of the family gathered at another's home and instead of my grandmother and aunt preparing the food, everyone brought something to contribute. It was still great being with everyone and the food was tasty but it didn't feel like Thanksgiving to me. Something was missing. The same people, the same type of food, but what made it different was who and how the food was prepared and where the feast was held.

I didn't realize that so much of the meaning to me of that day was about more than getting together to eat and give thanks.

Well, I guess this is my last post for this class. I just want to say that I have enjoyed Folklore Genres and it has opened my eyes to the world of folklore that I didn't know was out there. I hope everyone in my class finds success in their careers and are happy being folklorists. I think your jobs are important and have a meaningful and contributing place in our lives. Good luck!

Amy Noble

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home